harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]strings externalization
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:11:48 GMT
Ilya Okomin wrote:
>> The other reason we will need some manual intervention is that there is
>> plenty of code that throws exceptions without any message describing the
>> problem, and of course the tooling won't help there.
>
> Tim, do you mean, that Exceptions without any messages supposed to be
> initialized with some corresponding message describing the problem? I
> thought only already existing in modules messages are to be considered.
> Just want to dispel doubts.

I see plenty of code going in to svn that simply throws a new
IllegalArgumentException() or whatever.  It would be good if they had an
externalized message to explain what the problem was -- i.e. throw new
IllegalArgumentException("Parameter foobar should be less than 42") etc.

You might consider this a separate task to that of externalizing the
existing messages, but depending on how 'manual' the externalization
scan is for each module it may be worth doing both simultaneously.

>> So once we have the basic framework in place for the message handling I
>> think it will require a large manual effort to get all the strings that
>> we want externalized properly.  Luckily it is not technically complex
>> work and it is a task that we can easily do in parallel across the
>> modules.
>
> Yep, I've chosen the same way to do.

Cool -- did you get anywhere with the message handling framework
'template' code?

Regards,
Tim