harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [classlib][html] Should we try to be binary compatible with Sun's bdtd?
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:08:03 GMT
Miguel Montes wrote:
> On 7/26/06, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Miguel Montes wrote:
>>
>> > The method is public, so anyone can use it to read his own DTD.
>>
>> Wait, what method are we talking about?
>

> The method read(DataInputStream). It's poorly  documented, but it reads a
> DTD in an unspecified binary format. The default DTD is stored in this
> format in a file named html32.bdtd (or html401.bdtd, in the case of the
> recent contribution).
> As Alexey pointed out, there is no method to write a DTD, so maybe nobody
> uses the method read() anyway. But I see no point in having a public method
> that nobody can use. So I think we can:
> 1) Ask Sun to release the specification (if there is one)
> or
> 2) Figure it out, and document it
> or
> 3) Release our own specification

since the method is public and part of javax.swing, we need to implement
it, but this looks like a mistake or an overlook (and there are no swing
tests in the TCK anyway so we can do whatever we please).

I think it's safe to try #1 and #2 in parallel with different people.
Geir can do #1 while you can do #2.

/me loves to delegate ;-) (aka lazy ass mode)

I would suggest against #3: specifications are something that we are not
tasked to do (even to compensate lack of such), as it might deliver the
wrong message.

--
Stefano.