harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Migliore <enrico.migli...@fatti.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] porting to other platforms
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:56:11 GMT

Hi

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in the task of porting classlib to the 64bit platform
> (em64t/amd64).
> At this moment, classlib's source structure and build system doesn't
> support
> the diversity of platforms.
> Let's discuss what changes have to be made to support other platforms.
> One way is to move platform-dependent to the appropriate directory. For
> example,
> port--linux --ia32
>                --em64t
>                --ipf
>               makefile
> and to add platform determination and proper files selection to the
> makefile.

I always do this way when it comes to write multi platform code because
I like to keep everything clean and organized.

> The other way is to select the platform-dependent code by the
> preprocessor
> difine directives and to include the platform determination and the
> difines
> setting to the top-level build files (unfortunatly it doesn't work
> with asm
> files).

That taints the code but it's the most used way, and of course, assembly
code should reside in separate files.

Multi-platform code forces you to deal with the triplet:

CPU, OS, Compiler

Enrico