harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][nio][discussion] Implementation of java.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider.inheritedChannel()
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 01:51:50 GMT
Andrew Zhang wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I plan to implement
> java.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider.inheritedChannel()
> method. Currently Harmony simply returns null.
>
> Spec doesn not specify how to detect inheritedChannel clearly, "Returns the
> channel inherited from the entity that created this Java virtual machine."
> "For example, on UNIX systems, the Internet services daemon (*inetd*) is
> used to start programs to service requests when a request arrives on an
> associated network port. In this example, the process that is started,
> inherits a channel representing a network socket. "
>
> As my understanding, what inherited channel does is redirect socket to
> standard input. Therefore, my solution looks like following:
>
> 1. get standard input file descriptor
> 2. assert the file descriptor. If it is a socket type descriptor, then
> returns a channel which wraps the descriptor.

Hi Andrew:

     I believe it is correct behavior Harmony should follow. What's
more, it is necessary to detect Socket type, especially socket and
ServerSocket (luckily datagram is easy to tell).
     There are two states of socket, bound and connected. In semantic,
one socket that is bound and not connected should be wrapped as
ServerSocket, and wrapped as Socket if connected. So how to wrap a
socket that is not bound nor connected? It seems we need a test then. :)

> I also wrote some samples for ensuring my understanding. It seems OK on
> linux, but not the case on Window. RI always returns null on Windows (maybe
> because there is no service daemon program on Windows? or my understanding
> is totally wrong?) Therefore, I want to hear suggestions from our
> community,
> espeically folks experienced in network!

Interesting, seems Bill Gates forgets inetd? :)

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM