harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] using the harmony launcher
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:58:59 GMT
Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> Thanks Oliver, this does clarify a lot. I'll see if I could change
> drlvm's vmi impl such that it transfers the original portlib pointer
> obtained from the launcher.

That would be great, thanks Andrey.

> BTW: are we expecting to have the multiple instances of the port
> library? Can't it be a singleton those instance is simply obtained via
> GetPortLibrary() function exported in hyprt.dll or whatever? I'm
> wondering if we really need to pass the pointer throughout the
> different parts of a the system.

It is passed along so that any application that creates a Java VM
instance can specify the port library that it wants the class library to
use.  While today Harmony is only using JNI_CreateJavaVM in the
launcher, that is not the only expected usage.

For the same reason, the class library code should not be using statric
variables in the native code.  The VMI provides for VM-local storage so
that multiple instances of the VM in a single process running through
the classlib code do not trample on each other's static area.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)