harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Liang <richard.lian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [testing] locale dependent tests
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:12:19 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Richard Liang wrote:
>
>> Although the spec does not require the round-trip of applyPattern and
>> toPattern, we still want to get one *certain* pattern through toPattern.
>> Now the problem is the returned pattern is locale-dependent. I'm
>> uncertain about the reason to remove the assertion:
>> 1) Because the behavior is not required by spec, or
>> 2) Because the behavior is locale-dependent
>>

> It would seem that rather than forcing the locale to be en_US to make
> the test assertions valid, you could work with the default locale and
> guard any assertions that are locale-specific.  It would seem a shame to
> loose the diversity of testing on multiple locale machines if the tests
> always force everyone to look like an American (horror! ;-) )
>
> I would expect the fix therefore to be something like, if locale is
> en_US go ahead and assert more round-tripping code, otherwise can't test
> it as the spec allows variances.

If a test case passes in all locales, could we think that the behavior
tested by the test case is locale-independent? We still have to think
about how to test locale-dependent behavior. For example,
java.util.Locale.getDisplayName() and java.lang.String.toUpperCase(). To
verify both the code logic and locale data, shall we have some tests
like ABC_en_US_Test, ABC_en_UK_Test, and ABC_ru_RU_Test?

Best regards,
Richard

--
Richard Liang