harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [testing] locale dependent tests (was: Re: [build] status)
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:06:16 GMT
Richard Liang wrote:
> Although the spec does not require the round-trip of applyPattern and
> toPattern, we still want to get one *certain* pattern through toPattern.
> Now the problem is the returned pattern is locale-dependent. I'm
> uncertain about the reason to remove the assertion:
> 1) Because the behavior is not required by spec, or
> 2) Because the behavior is locale-dependent

It would seem that rather than forcing the locale to be en_US to make
the test assertions valid, you could work with the default locale and
guard any assertions that are locale-specific.  It would seem a shame to
loose the diversity of testing on multiple locale machines if the tests
always force everyone to look like an American (horror! ;-) )

I would expect the fix therefore to be something like, if locale is
en_US go ahead and assert more round-tripping code, otherwise can't test
it as the spec allows variances.

Regards,
Tim

--