harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Using Yoko as CORBA for Harmony
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:27:45 GMT
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
>> > Guys,
>> >
>> > There is a CORBA implementation in Apache incubator named Yoko.
>> > http://incubator.apache.org/yoko/
>> >
>> > I've built and reviewed it... It seems that Yoko have almost all the
>> > packages from the 1.5 specification.
>> > So it looks like a good candidate for using as CORBA for Harmony.
>> Great.  Does it come with a test suite too?  Just thinking about how we
>> check that the Yoko code works ok on Harmony.
> Yep, it has test suite but I was not successful in trying to run it yet :(
>
>> > The only problem is that Yoko has even more packages in org.omg then
>> > specified by 1.5 specification. So we should decide what to do with
>> > them.
>> Hmm, is that a problem?  I'm assuming that we can have any packages
>> outside the 1.5 spec that we want (e.g. o.a.harmony.whatever).
> org.apache.harmony is our internal classes.

Understood.

> But Yoko has additional packages under org.omg which are covered by
> 1.5 spec.

This is the bit I don't get -- if they are packages not in the 1.5 spec
then why do you say they are 'covered by the 1.5 spec'?

> In fact it looks like additional packages like java.smth or
> javax.swing.smth in Harmony.

No, Sun have no call over the org.omg package namespace.  I agree it
would be wrong to have additional java.* packages, but I'd be very
surprised if having additional org.omg packages was 'illegal'.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)