harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] internationalization
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:53:00 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> I'm a little confused because I think Alexey combined two ideas that can
> be treated separate, using eclipse technique, and using lightweight code
> generation to create your solution automatically.
>
> I believe that you are rejecting the Eclipse solution as we don't have
> the same resource message requirements that Eclipse does. Right?

I'm not rejecting it, I just have no basis for an opinion.  In such
cases I would usually go with the common convention until we determine
that there is a win elsewhere.

> Separately from that, what do you think about the build-time code gen
> (i.e. simple template w/ package name replacement...) so that it's easy
> to modify and switch in the future?

A simple tool to gen the code as a separate step would be ok.  I'm not
convinced that we need to generate it each time we build, the Msg and
MsgUtils don't change frequently (same for the the Eclipse method if we
go for that).

I'd put the 'template' code and the code gen tool into our project tools
directory, and run it when we update the template then check the
generated code (with 'do not edit blah blah' comments) into SVN for each
module.

I see it being analogous to the javah process for the JNI calls.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)