harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] debug compilation as default
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:14:53 GMT
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> +1 for property files.
> The one of the main benefits for me is the possibility to define all
> the needed properties just once. But not execute a huge number of "set
> SMTH" and "set ANOTHERTHING" each time I open a new window or reboot
> my machine.
>
> That's why it is better to get proxy info from property file instead
> of setting ANT_OPTS variable :)

It looks like the issue boils down to difference in habits.
The "java types" prefer property files, because it saves them
from working with "incomprehensible" environment variables and so on.

But then, I am "unix type", and having correctly defined environment
is essential to me. I just keep my .profile file up-to-date,
and don't care about setting it in a new window. It gets configured
automatically.
And I hate property files, because they cannot be
configured in one central place, and I have to keep copying them
over and over, and quickly get lost in a multitude of unsynchronized copies.

Just another case of "computing" cultural differences.

Anyway, I will lowly follow what the majority will decide as appropriate.