harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] build fixes that allow normal single step debug of the Jitrino.JET write barrier patch
Date Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:38:33 GMT

Matt Benson wrote:
> --- Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> [SNIP]
>>> I guess the primary job of these scripts is to
>> setup the classpath
>>> correctly.
>>> We can get of them under assumption that everyone
>> has a cpptasks
>>> (which is needed for native code compilation) and
>> antcontrib packages
>>> installed with the Ant.
>> And as soon as we get rid of the need for
>> cpptasks.... ;)
>>
>> I wonder if we can add them to the classpath in the
>> first ant-script we
>> run, and then have them avail for invoked scripts.
>>

> Seriously, if the native build is switched to a make
> approach, it wouldn't be impossible to remove the ac
> dependency from what I can see in the drlvm buildfile.
>  Personally I would probably prefer the cpptasks be
> used but grudgingly admit that actual C hackers are
> probably more accustomed to make.  ;)
>
> Beyond that, however, antcontrib is THE most often
> mentioned/recommended 3rd-party package on Ant's user
> lists;

Why don't you guys fold this into ant then?

> more than one of its developers are also Ant
> committers.  I don't know that I see the harm in
> simply requiring that the user install antcontrib (and
> cpptasks, while it is used).  The user can simply drop
> the jars into $ANT_HOME/lib (actually I don't set
> ANT_HOME but let the location of the invoker script
> along my PATH pick it up, but that's a different
> story).

Because it's annoying when you need to modify standard tools just for
one project...

>On shared installations (with Ant >= 1.6),
> the user can install in ${user.home}/.ant/lib or
> supply the -lib option at the commandline.  If the
> -lib option is chosen, that can be configured with
> ANT_ARGS .

Oh, that's cool.  Still, why don't you let me augment ant's lib at
runtime from w/in the ant script? I would assume it would be related to
initial parsing and recognition of elements in the script, but some kind
of late-binding would be nifty...

> My cygwin Harmony classpath build
> environment actually uses the -lib option to include
> the ecj jar, for example.

So there's no way to do a fork-like thing - let a top ant script setup
the environment and then launch the script that does the work?

geir