harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Breaking awt native build?
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:10:16 GMT

Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 12 July 2006 at 12:09, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mark Hindess wrote:
>>> Anyone object if I break the awt native build (the part that currently
>>> only runs when call ant with -Dwith.awt.swing=true)?  (More specifically
>>> the windows build - I'm hoping to not break the linux part although
>>> it is pretty complicated so perhaps I will.)
>> Um... :)
>>
>>> The reason is that I'm doing the AWT native integration, I've just about
>>> done the linux version and I'd rather like to check it in before I start
>>> on the windows code.  The problem is that moving the shared natives
>>> breaks the windows version until I do the integration for that too.  (I
>>> can't say exactly how much time the windows integration will take but it
>>> should be days not weeks.)
>> Is it possible to leave the old one in place, and just use two
>> properties, one for the old (works on windows) one for the new (works on
>> linux...)?
>
> Maybe, using something like a) but perhaps making the windows copy
> (that would soon be deleted) be the one with the complicated history.
>
> I still suspect it would take me longer to sort out the alternatives
> than it will to get the job done so I'm loathed to incur this
> "overhead".  And given the workaround in the P.S. below and the fact
> that possibly no-one is compiling this code anyway(?) then I'm not sure
> it's worth the trouble.  (I think if I was doing it again I would have
> created a branch, but when I started I didn't realise quite how much
> there was to the awt native build.)

Fair enough.  If it's really only a few days, I have no objection, and
if no one else has an objection, you might as well go for it.   I hate
seeing the build broken ever, but...

Maybe the thing to do is send a separate mail w/ "build broken for
windows AWT natives" or something, with the steps people can use to
rollback and build if they must.

geir