harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Liang <richard.lian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build-test-infra] Build Test Infrastructure
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 06:57:02 GMT

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Aside from being distracted by my new macbook pro dual core intel
> wonderbox, I was playing with seeding a build/test/ci infrastructure,
> and want to solicit comments before I check in something.
>
> I call this a seed because I know there's a lot of interest in a
> richer framework for perf/stabillity/unit testing, code coverage, etc,
> and the key is to make it easy for anyone to get, and propose
> additions to...
>
> The top-level goal was to have something that anyone can checkout, do
> some minor configuration, and get running, so we can have a rich
> platform matrix for Harmony testing that's community-based.  Sure,
> we'll run it on Apache hardware too at some point, but it must be
> community owned, community created, etc, with the Apache instance just
> one in the matrix.

Sounds great :-)

> I figure that we'll have :
>
> 1)  some infrastructure you can checkout and run
>
> 2) a target mail address/list for result/status messages that we
> accept from anyone in the community that "registers" with us (IOW,
> people write in and say they are doing it on platform XYZ, and we add
> them....)
>
> 3) Some kind of system that gathers the info and presents a status
> page on the website so people can review history and such.

Maybe we could allow people to upload their build logs to Harmony.
CruiseControl can easily publish build result according to the log files.

> I had a few soft 'requirements' in my head when I started....
>
> 1) I wanted to be able to build a system so that for the most part
>
>      svn co https://......./enhanced/buildtestinfra
>
> will get you everything you need to run.
>
> 2) I wanted to  be able to parameterize the ci/test run  via some kind
> of  external properties  in order that everyone is running the same
> test config.  Examples of these parameters include the platform you
> are testing on (RedHat Fedora Core v1.1), mail information like return
> address, mail server to send through, etc...
>
> 3) I want it to be flexible so whatever comes down the pike can be
> incorporated.
>
> I looked at both continuum and cruise control.  Both seem to be
> glorified CRON programs, with the point of just running a set of tasks
> over and over and reporting on them.  I went back and forth and
> decided that for what I wanted to do, cruise control seemed a better
> fit.  It let me do things like create dependencies between projects
> (only run B if A completes successfully), and seemed to be easier to
> run our projects  as they are, w/o needing special kick-off scripts
> and such.
>
> My goal is to check in later today after some nips and tucks.  It's
> simple, it's primitive, and because I don't know cruise control very
> well, it's probably wrong.    But it's been working all weekend, and
> aside from the fact that my )@#!@# ubuntu box is under enough weird
> memory stress that fork() fails, it's cute to watch.
>
> So first, does this sound reasonable?
IMHO, it's really reasonable. Do you think our existing build system is
an example. And it seems that you already have some
scripts/configuration files in place, then we may have some specific
discussion.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Richard.

> Second, what approach should we take for recording and summarizing
> across a whole range of people running this?  I'd like to keep the
> mail stream coming, as I think that's a great way to permanently
> track.  But  based on that... maybe a little impl of James or
> something running on a solaris zone that eats email and writes to a db?
>
> geir

Richard Liang
China Software Development Lab, IBM