harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <thunderax...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to build Harmony on Windows (with minimum of commercial soft)
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2006 10:54:19 GMT
Gregory Shimansky skrev  den 01-06-2006 23:34:
> First I decided to use the current MS free software to repeat what is
> done
> by commercial. Nowdays MS offers VS.NET 2005 express edition (no earlier
> verions are available for download as far as I could find) and
> Platform SDK
> Server 2003 R2 (at first I've downloaded an earlier one but later
> upgraded
> to 2006 year version). The VS 2005 brings some new nuisances which
> software
> written outside of Redmond wasn't ready for.
I have now played a bit around with this, and I would like to have you
confirm that the software above is the _ONLY_ Visual Studio stuff
installed on your machine?

The reason for this is that I have Visual Studio C++ Express, Platform
Server 2003 SDK R2 (the latest I could find), and MASM installed on my
XP box, and I cannot get a runnable deploy/.../jre/java.exe

If I run first the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
Server 2003 R2\SetEnv.cmd" /XP32 command and then the
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcvarsall.bat" I can
build all of classlib, but invoking deploy\jdk\jre\bin\java gives me the
dreaded "Cannot find MSVCR8.DLL" dialogue box.

I tried looking around on the net for information how to fix this, and
changing -MD to -MT did not change anything.   All this with manifests
and dll is very strange to me so I'm giving up on that for the moment.

If I run the R2\SetEnv.cmd command only (and not the vcvarsall.bat) the
compilation fails at the first call to "lib" which cannot find the
mscrt.dll (spelling?) library.

I am very confident that you have it running, so I just need to figure
out how to get to your configuration :)

--
  Thorbjørn (who is now considering installing vmware to get to a varm,
comforting linux environment :)