harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [vm-kernel][testing] Where to put VM-agnostic tests for kernel classes?
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 09:55:38 GMT

Vladimir Gorr wrote:
> On 7/7/06, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 7 July 2006 at 12:55, "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I know the topic of test layouts is too popular here, but let me offer
>> > some more grounds :)
>> >
>> > I think classlib tests should include a suite for VM-independent
>> > kernel tests, like recently created testcases in H-765 and H-721. The
>> > latter has gone to drlvm/vm/tests/smoke suite, which also has a number
>> > of good candidates for moving to a common place.
>> >
>> > I see classlib/luni-kernel as the most natural location for now, but
>> > maybe it worths a separate module altogether?
>>
>> Yes.  I think tests that should pass on any VM's kernel classes should
>> live in the classlib modules (luni-kernel or security-kernel).
>

> Agree. However we should have the possibility to run the class library
> tests
> against any VM.

Yah, I was pondering the same question, and thinking that we should put
spec and intergration-ish tests outside of classlib, maybe in the
if-I-keep-wishing-it-will-happen /testing subcomponent, but I don't
really care too strongly.

> AFAIK we cannot provide this thing right now (java launcher requests the
> clearvm library).
>
> All class library tests are run under J9 as default VM. I'd be not bad to
> start running these tests
>
> against DRLVM as well. Otherwise the tests for the JIRA issues mentioned in
> this thread

The tests don't care.  I've been playing with running things under DRLVM.

> will be useless if we put them on the class lib modules. Correct?

I don't actually see why.

geir