harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][regex] Acknowledgement of Unicode Character Database
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 02:42:06 GMT

Nathan Beyer wrote:
> The pieces of Unicode 4.1 that would be of any concern would be the notable
> changes [1]. If we were to fully support Unicode 4.1 in some classes, like
> Character.UnicodeBlock, there may be some cases of supporting more than the
> Java 5 spec (RI). This is probably fine in most cases, but I'd be curious if
> this had any affect on the JCK or any other JRE tests.
>
> I haven't checked the Java 6 spec lately, but it's likely that it has moved
> to Unicode 4.1.
>
> More than anything, I'd just like to have some sort of consensus if a
> question or a bug about supporting a Unicode 4.1 value comes up. If ICU
> supports it then I'm even more inclined to support it.

Nathan, just FYI, if you decide to support Unicode 4.1, you may be
interest in UCharacter[1][2] provided by ICU4J. Hopefully it can be useful.

[1] official release's new features:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/icu/downloads.jsp
[2] UCharacter API reference:
http://icu.sourceforge.net/apiref/icu4j/com/ibm/icu/lang/UCharacter.html