harmony-dev mailing list archives

From zoe slattery <zoe.slatt...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] milestones and roadmap (round 1 summary)
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:04:44 GMT
Geir - looks accurate to me. A couple of comments in line:

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> I think this captures the input so far w/ a minimum of editorializing on
> my part for now :)  let me know if anything was left off, or if there
> are new things to be added
>
> General
> =======
> - switch to java 5
>
> - get some of the principal JDK tools in place
>
> - use system libraries, dynamically where appropriate - libz,
>   libpng, libjpeg, liblcms, libicu*, etc.
>
> - modularity
>   -- DRLVM - refine and document the internal interfaces and API
>      such that one can substitute parts of VM (ex, can the MMTk
>      activities be a first step?)
>   -- classlib - is there opportunity for refactoring classlib
>      natives to be more modular WRT portlib?
>
> Build/Test Framework
> ====================
> - regular schedule for snapshots.  Maybe every two weeks for now?
>   -- classlib
>   -- classlib + DRLVM
>   -- classlib + classlib adapter + jchevm
>
> - Build/CI/test framework - Mark/IBM get us booted?
>   -- make it easy for anyone to setup the CI infrastructure
>      and report back to a website here
>
> - Performance
>   -- measure baseline
>   -- start looking for hotspots
>
> - Stability and reliability
>   -- stress testing
>
> - "application-driven advancement"
>   -- which apps work
>   -- tool for users to generate "missing classes" reports for us

No I'm sure we have this. I wrote one (stand-alone and simple minded)
which is still in JIRA (Hamony 165), then I believe that Mark wrote
something more sophisticated later on.
All we really need to do for identifying missing classes is for people
to run their apps & a few standard operations with java -verbose:class
and capture the output. I volunteer to look at this if anyone wants to
do it ....

Or - you could look at Harmony 165 and tell me what needs to be improved
- I'm afraid it's Perl though so you may have to learn a new language :-)
> - JCK
>   -- acquire
>   -- integrate
>
> - federated build
>   -- agreement between parts on things like debug/release flag,
>      structure of artifacts (model after classlib for now),
>      common dependency pool where possible, etc
>
> Classlib
> ========
> - concurrency : integration of Doug Lea's java.util.concurrency package.
>   -- Nathan is looking at it
>   -- need support from DRLVM + JCHEVM
>
> - CORBA - yoko?
>
> - JMX
>   -- Mark has MX4J in place
>   -- need to see if we can host MX4J as separate distributable
>      of the Harmony project
>
> - package completion roadmap
>
> Ports
> =====
> - em64t platform support
> - ipf platform support
> - amd64
> - linux/ppc64
> - osx/intel
> - osx/ppc
>
> Community
> =========
> - make things accessible to users
>
> - increase commmitter pool
>
> - get out of incubator
>   -- I think it's too early now, and we aren't "suffering"
>      being in here, so I'd prefer to drop this one...

Well - yes. Too early now - but it's what we are all working towards
isn't it? So what's the harm in stating it as a goal?