harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley <george.c.har...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Testing conventions - a proposal
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:53:56 GMT
Alex Blewitt wrote:
> On 06/07/06, Richard Liang <richard.liangyx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It seems that you're very familiar with TestNG.  ;-) So would you please
>> identify what we shall do to transfer from junit to TestNG? Thanks a
>> lot.
>
> Me? I'm just highly opinionated :-)

Hi Alex,

I think we are all pretty much in the TestNG novice category :-)

> There's guidelines for migrating from JUnit to TestNG at the home page:
> http://testng.org/doc/migrating.html
>
> "Here is a sample use that will convert all the JUnit tests in the
> src/ directory to TestNG:
>
> java org.testng.JUnitConverter -overwrite -annotation -srcdir src"
>
> :-)

I have done some private experimentation with this command line utility
and it seems to work well. In the first instance it would be good to
preserve the JUnit "nature" of the tests - i.e. still have the test
classes extend from JUnit TestCase etc - so that there is always a
backwards migration path. That's me being paranoid. Note that the
equivalent migration functionality in the latest TestNG plug-in for
Eclipse did not allow that but, in addition to adding in the
annotations, insisted on removing the inheritance from TestCase.

> There's also instructions about how to set it up with an Ant-based build:
> http://testng.org/doc/ant.html
>
> I'll see if I can migrate the tests I've got in the Pack200 dir to use
> TestNG, so that you can see what it looks like. Unfortunately, I doubt
> that I'm going to be able to get to that much before 2 weeks time due
> to other outstanding commitments ...
>
> Alex.

Although we haven't gotten round to discussing specifics yet, it is
probably timely to mention here that using the TestNG annotations
approach (as opposed to the pre-1.5 Javadoc comments approach) will not
work so long as we are compiling Harmony code with the "jsr14" target.
It looked like the annotation metadata did not make it into the
generated class files (at least this is what I saw in my own
experiments). If we want to use the annotations approach we will have to
wait until we move up to compiling for a 1.5 target. Hopefully that will
not be too long now......

In the meantime you could try out using the Javadoc comments approach,
just to get a feel for how things run. The downside to that is that your
test source needs to be available at runtime so that the comments are
available for the framework to examine.

Best regards,
George