harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 17:13:28 GMT

Marina Goldburt wrote:
> Hi,
>

> To support the idea mentioned in the letter
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200602.mbox/%3C43F06F25.8040304@gmail.com%3E,
>

> I've tried to implement the file I/O  part of the Harmony portlib using
> APR.
>
> The JIRA issue with the patch is
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-751.

I wouldn't want to tie us to APR like this - I can see us offering an
"APR port" that is a peer to the native Windows and Linux.ia32 ports [it
would be fun to test performance differences], but not make it the core,
shared implementation.

> The main difficulty to implement I/O function using APR was the lack of
> modularity in the classlib native code (the other (not portlib) modules
> relies on the portlib functions returning OS I/O handles (but APR uses its
> own handles)).
>

> Please, review the patch and comment if the efforts to move OS/platform
> specific code to APR make sense and can be useful.

I'm interested in making APR an option, but I do believe that at least
right now, APR is tailored in part to different usage requirements than
we have in a VM.

What would it take to define the gap, and then working w/ APR to make a
version that fits our needs (as it may other problem domains)?

geir