harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][nio] [question] Synchronization issue on MappedByteBuffer ?
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:01:34 GMT
Andrew Zhang wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I noticed there are several FIXMEs in MappedByteBufferAdapter.java, which
> are related to synchronization issue.
>
> Following FIXME is for getChar() method:
>
> // FIXME Need synchronization as far as the update of this.position is
> concerned of the following methods? Spec does not say whether
> MappedByteBuffer is thread safe. It is the decision we should make.
>
> I read through MappedByteBuffer javadoc, and didn't find any description
> about concurrent & synchronization. The spec on MappedByteBuffer emphasizes
> "All or part of a mapped byte buffer may become inaccessible at any time",
> and in the end, it mentions "Mapped byte buffers otherwise behave no
> differently than ordinary direct byte buffers."

Seems few Buffer Classes apply synchronization. And according to our
Compatibility-Guidelines, javadoc says nothing and we should follow RI,
so maybe removing the FIXMEs is a good choice. :)
It'll be better if some test cases can be written.

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM