harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregory Shimansky" <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Intention to work on java.lang.instrument
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:04:53 GMT
2006/7/31, Jimmy, Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com>:

> >       Besides, Harmony VM now has actually support the feature of JVMTI
> > on which we can implement instrument.
> >

> Ah, can it work now? It'll be great convenient if so.

Hello. The drlvm does support a subset of JVMTI. Class loading events are
supported, ClassFileLoadHook which may be used for load time class
instrumentation is supported too. But there is no support for
RedefineClasses yet if you need to change classes bytecode after the class
was loaded already.

> >    After some study on this, I find Java interface classes/interfaces
> >> are quite easy, but there should be real implement, both in java and
> >> native. And the native code requires JVMTI[2], which is a part of VM 5.
> >> Though, luckily we can still study and code according to JVMTI and test
> >> on RI. So my goal is : 1.define those simple Java classes/interfaces in
> >> Harmony; 2. work out implementation of java/native code according to
> >> JVMTI and make it run on RI; 3. wait for Harmony VM5 and then make some
> >> integration modification/test.
> >

> >      As the main function of instruments is to add and remove
> transformers
> > to some classes, I suggest implement it as an agent of JVMTI. That is to
> > register callback functions, which actually transform the byte stream of
> > some specified classes,  to the events that is relevent to instrument in
> > JVMTI including
> > the class loading.
> >

> Yes, that's the way.

I agree with this approach. Do you know which API functions and events you
will need for such agent?