harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject [drlvm] uses deprecated pthread function
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:12:17 GMT
Hello

I've tried to build drlvm on Linux and it didn't compile because when
compiling signals_ia32.cpp file compiler produced a warning that
pthread_attr_getstackaddr is deprecated. I looked in /usr/include/pthread.h
[1] and found out that it is really deprecated by __attribute_deprecated__.

I don't know why everything is fine for others but for me gcc [2] does gives a
warning on this function. I used the recommended replacement
pthread_attr_getstack which gives both address and stack size in one call.
The patch is in HARMONY-977. StackTest and other vm smoke tests pass for me
now.

Maybe it would be better to call pthread_attr_getstack just once since it
provides all necessary stack information and eliminate redundant
find_stack_addr and find_stack_size. Each of them calls pthread_getattr_np
just to destroy pthread_attr 2 lines later. But I made the minimal fix which
doesn't change functions layout because the same functions exist for windows.
Probably they are meant to be moved to portlib?

For the future reference, to avoid warnings about deprecated functions (which
isn't really good IMHO) it is necessary to
specify -Wno-deprecated-declarations, not the -Wno-deprecated (it is meant
for C++ code only) option which we currently have in
build/make/targets/common_vm.xml.

[1]
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.6, by Roland McGrath et al.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 3.4.6 (Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9).
Compiled on a Linux 2.6.11 system on 2006-06-25.
Available extensions:
        GNU libio by Per Bothner
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
        The C stubs add-on version 2.1.2.
        GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
Thread-local storage support included.

[2]
gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 (Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)