harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] debug compilation as default
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:53:45 GMT

On 17 July 2006 at 15:34, Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zakirov@Intel.com> wrote:

> > Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> >> I have already implemented it using ant variables, look at the latest
> >> patch. You can use following notation with it:
> >>  ant -Dhy.cfg=release
>
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> > Now we're getting somewhere.
> >
> > I assume then I can put this into the build.properties that we'll be
> > adding Real Soon Now (as I can never remember command line args anyway...)
>
> Please, please, do *not* introduce any more build.properties files.
>
> The files that may need to be customized to get specific build
> configuration should never be version-controlled. Besides, keeping
> configuration files in the workspace means you cannot make your
> configuration permanent.  I see the properties files as anti-usable.

I'll let Geir speak for himself, but I think he was alluding to the use
of a user properties file:

  <property file="${user.home}/.harmony.properties" />

that would *not* be checked in and would be read (if it existed or
ignored otherwise).

> The main point of using environment variables instead of ant
> properties is an ability to do a *workstation-specific* configuration
> in a permanent way , so that I do not need to do any configuration
> steps before the build for the fresh workspace, once I have configured
> my environment.

Which is exactly what you can achieve in a platform-independent way with
a property file as described above.

> And by the way, the solution to run 'HY_CFG=xyz ant' with
> corresponding
>     <property environment="env"/>
>     <condition property='hy.cfg' value='${env.HY_CFG}'>
>        <isset property="env.HY_CFG"/>
>     </condition>
> worked perfectly for the DRLVM builds on Windows. What's more,
> it is *compatible* with 'ant -Dhy.cfg=...' syntax.
>
> I have not heard any specific concerns why this can't be used.

Read the list archive.  Environment variables are platform-specific and
differ - if they exist - from platform to platform.  Windows for example
treats environment variable names as case-insensitive but when ant reads
them from env.VaR you must get the case exactly right.  Ant properties
are platform-independent and so will work the same everywhere.

Regards,
 Mark.