harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] build fixes that allow normal single step debug of the Jitrino.JET write barrier patch
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:44:06 GMT
--- Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com> wrote:
> Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
[SNIP]
> > I guess the primary job of these scripts is to
> setup the classpath
> > correctly.
> > We can get of them under assumption that everyone
> has a cpptasks
> > (which is needed for native code compilation) and
> antcontrib packages
> > installed with the Ant.
>
> And as soon as we get rid of the need for
> cpptasks.... ;)
>
> I wonder if we can add them to the classpath in the
> first ant-script we
> run, and then have them avail for invoked scripts.

Seriously, if the native build is switched to a make
approach, it wouldn't be impossible to remove the ac
dependency from what I can see in the drlvm buildfile.
 Personally I would probably prefer the cpptasks be
used but grudgingly admit that actual C hackers are
probably more accustomed to make.  ;)

Beyond that, however, antcontrib is THE most often
mentioned/recommended 3rd-party package on Ant's user
lists; more than one of its developers are also Ant
committers.  I don't know that I see the harm in
simply requiring that the user install antcontrib (and
cpptasks, while it is used).  The user can simply drop
the jars into $ANT_HOME/lib (actually I don't set
ANT_HOME but let the location of the invoker script
along my PATH pick it up, but that's a different
story).  On shared installations (with Ant >= 1.6),
the user can install in ${user.home}/.ant/lib or
supply the -lib option at the commandline.  If the
-lib option is chosen, that can be configured with
ANT_ARGS .  My cygwin Harmony classpath build
environment actually uses the -lib option to include
the ecj jar, for example.

</rambling>

-Matt