harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Breaking awt native build?
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:39:37 GMT

On 12 July 2006 at 12:09, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com> wrote:

> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > Anyone object if I break the awt native build (the part that currently
> > only runs when call ant with -Dwith.awt.swing=true)?  (More specifically
> > the windows build - I'm hoping to not break the linux part although
> > it is pretty complicated so perhaps I will.)
>
> Um... :)
>

> > The reason is that I'm doing the AWT native integration, I've just about
> > done the linux version and I'd rather like to check it in before I start
> > on the windows code.  The problem is that moving the shared natives
> > breaks the windows version until I do the integration for that too.  (I
> > can't say exactly how much time the windows integration will take but it
> > should be days not weeks.)
>
> Is it possible to leave the old one in place, and just use two
> properties, one for the old (works on windows) one for the new (works on
> linux...)?

Maybe, using something like a) but perhaps making the windows copy
(that would soon be deleted) be the one with the complicated history.

I still suspect it would take me longer to sort out the alternatives
than it will to get the job done so I'm loathed to incur this
"overhead".  And given the workaround in the P.S. below and the fact
that possibly no-one is compiling this code anyway(?) then I'm not sure
it's worth the trouble.  (I think if I was doing it again I would have
created a branch, but when I started I didn't realise quite how much
there was to the awt native build.)

Regards,
 Mark.