harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] debug compilation as default
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 19:41:19 GMT

On 7 July 2006 at 21:29, "Ivan Volosyuk" <ivan.volosyuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> >

> > > The drlvm build already has ant property called "build.cfg" and
> > > "build.cxx" for the debug or release build and the compiler name. The
> > > properties is initialized from BUILD_CFG and CXX environment
> > > variables. IMHO, it will be convenient to have the same property for
> > > drlvm and classlib build. Is it ok to have _this_ property names? I
> > > don't think the word 'native' in property make sense as this switch
> > > can be used somehow even in java build (?) eventually.
> > >

> > I do think we should agree on something, to make federation easier.
> >
> > geir
>
> Linux version of the makefiles update is already in

The DEFINES and INCLUDES is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking
about.  However:

1) I think we've somehow lost the default '-O1' option

2) I think the $(shell uname -m) is overkill, we'll handle this a better
way when the time comes in the meantime forking/execing sh and uname for
each call to make is just overhead.

> I didn't touch ant build system. It allows to pass environment to
> makefiles. That's enough. Makefiles will do the rest.

Sorry, but I don't like this for reasons I discussed yesterday.  It was
late and I guess I wasn't clear enough.

It should be done via ant because ant is the interface that developers
should be using to execute the build - either using the top-level ant
file or the module ant file (or via some federation calling ant).  Even
if they are only building native code in a module developers should
still use the ant file.

We may change[0] the way native code is built if handle things like this
configuration issue via ant then the interface for developers can remain
the same even when we change what happens under the covers.

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] Probably sooner rather than later if we start ports to other platforms.