harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] debug compilation as default
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:48:46 GMT

On 6 July 2006 at 23:42, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com> wrote:

> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > On 7 July 2006 at 0:43, "Ivan Volosyuk" <ivan.volosyuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On 7/7/06, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I can make this patch. One question, is it ok to have same property as
> >> DRLVM for release mode? Like this:
> >>   BUILD_CFG=release
> >
> > I'm happy with release and debug but the top-level interface (and
> > the module-level interface too for that matter) is ant - make should
> > not be called directly - so it will probably need to be an ant property.
>
> I'm perfectly happy w/ this at high level.
>

> > I was thinking:
> >
> > 1) adding a 'hy.native.cfg' property to make/properties.xml
> >
> > 2) converting this in to an environment variable so what like hy.hdk
> >    gets converted to HY_HDK.
> >

> Can we please stop with this "HY" stuff?  The project is "Harmony".

I'm only going along with what is already there.  IMHO, it would be even
worse to have some hy varaibles and some harmony variables.  Changing
them all is definitely out-of-scope for this specific problem.

Personally, I really don't care either way.  (I'll just put an entry in
the global-abbrev-table in emacs to expand hy to harmony. ;-)

> > 3) adding !if/ifeq directives in defines.mak and makefile.include to
> >    define the CFG_CFLAGS and CFG_LDFLAGS with just the subset of flags
> >    for debug/optimisation.
> >
> > 4) breaking up the existing flags variables and defining them in terms
> >    of separate defines for different types of flags CFG flags, warning
> >    flags, etc.
> >
> > That's just my first thoughts I'd might not end up doing it quite like
> > that if I actually tried to do it. ;-)
> >

> Is that overspecifying it for a first run?  Just having "debug/release"
> would be cool to start.

Perhaps a little.  You need to do 3) and at least enough of 4) to
extract the debug/optimization options but you could leave the remainder
in a single variable.

Regards,
 Mark.