harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Strategy for Harmony to work with Visual Studio 2005?
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:52:38 GMT
On Thursday 06 July 2006 14:35 Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> Ok, then I will get back to VC7 at the moment. :-)  Let's wait till
> its acceptance by the community.
>
> Actually I don't see them as new APIs; instead, I view them as
> enforced good coding conventions that help to achieve better security,
> e.g., always check the buffer size in debug mode. (Personally I like
> the changes immediately when I met them. My only question was why we
> didn't do that earlier. :-)

If they were just drop in replacements of the old functions this could be done
quickly. But they are not compatible for the most part and so may complicate
the code significantly to support both old (e.g. VC7 and older, cyginw/mingw
targets) and new version.

You can use includes from Platform SDK which has headers compatible with old
API [1] unless MS has changed new versions of Platform SDK to have this
secure stuff and no alternative since I wrote that email.

> > I think the key reason is that this is non-standard stuff from
> > microsoft's for-fee toolchain, and people in OSS try to avoid having a
> > dependency on that.
> >
> > I wouldn't mind supporting this at some point a) once it becomes a
> > standard and b) has broad acceptance, but I'm guessing that's going to
> > take years.
> >
> > People who have used the free version of MSFT tools seem to just set the
> > flag as you note.

There are two flags. I've found the second in [2]. But I didn't try to use the
because I used Platform SDK includes workaround. Maybe defining them is still
not enough.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200606.mbox/<208da7a50606011434i405b7d5ao4be8a9fefc52e183%40mail.gmail.com>

[2]