harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Removing classlib-related tasks from VM build (was Doing the minimum to support Java 5 classfiles)
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:17:14 GMT

On 5 July 2006 at 10:14, Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zakirov@Intel.com> wrote:
> Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
>
> > BTW: drlvm build has a built-in machinery to get the resources from
> > Internet. Do you think it may make sense to teach it to get the
> > classlib binaries snapshots from the web site? I think
> > remote.CLASSLIB.archive variable  in win/lnx.properties can be used
> > for that purpose, we only need to specify there the binaries location
> > instead of source tree url.
> >
> > One of the issues here is that VM may not always work with the latest
> > class libraries, hence hardcoding of the specific classlib snapshot
> > URL/version in *.properties may be helpful (in the past SVN revision
> > was used for that purpose).
>
> +1
>
> Using the fixed classlib snapshot will remove one factor
> of uncertainty, and will make the DRLVM behaviour more reproducible.

-1

Doing this will hide issues that appear when changes to classlib breaks
drlvm.  At this stage in the project, I'd rather have such issues be as
visible as possible.  Such breakages should be relatively easy to fix
and any drlvm developer should be capable of rolling back classlib svn
until things are fixed if they get impatient.

I don't see how it significantly affects reproducibility since it is
trivial to check/record the versions of classlib and drlvm svn when an
error occurs?

Regards,
 Mark