harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Volosyuk" <ivan.volos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] debug compilation as default
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:35:37 GMT
On 7/7/06, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 7 July 2006 at 21:29, "Ivan Volosyuk" <ivan.volosyuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I do think we should agree on something, to make federation easier.
> > >
> > > geir
> >
> > Linux version of the makefiles update is already in
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-803
>
> The DEFINES and INCLUDES is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking
> about.  However:
>
> 1) I think we've somehow lost the default '-O1' option

Yes. I'll fix it.

> 2) I think the $(shell uname -m) is overkill, we'll handle this a better
> way when the time comes in the meantime forking/execing sh and uname for
> each call to make is just overhead.

I know that fork/exec operation is quite efficient on linux, more over
the compilation of sources uses much more time.

> > I didn't touch ant build system. It allows to pass environment to
> > makefiles. That's enough. Makefiles will do the rest.
>
> Sorry, but I don't like this for reasons I discussed yesterday.  It was
> late and I guess I wasn't clear enough.
>
> It should be done via ant because ant is the interface that developers
> should be using to execute the build - either using the top-level ant
> file or the module ant file (or via some federation calling ant).  Even
> if they are only building native code in a module developers should
> still use the ant file.

Working on different projects, I've found out that Java programmers
and C programmers have different habits. Java programmers likes ant,
Linux/C programmers - make. I am C programmer :)
If we going to do all the build ant-way, let's use cpptask as DRLVM
does. But I will not sign up under that task - I can deal with
makefile based build system, but I have quite little knowledge of ant
to do that task.

--
Ivan
Intel Middleware Products Division