harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib] StringBuilder vs StringBuffer
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2006 07:42:30 GMT
Folks,
I've noticed that available implementation of j.l.StringBuilder
performs quite slowly, so j.l.StringBuffer outperforms it several
times despite of all synchronization. I filed corresponding JIRA
tracker, HARMONY-589.

Yet there is one issue which I'd like to raise here - code duplication
between these classes. AFAIU they are almost identical, except
synchronization and return types, -therefore will perfectly fit to a
common superclass.
BTW, RI goes exactly this way - one can look at official specification
of corresponding serialized forms to ascertain that, so there will be
no compartibility issues.

If noone objects, I volunteer to do this refactoring. Guess it does
not require any golden tickets :) Should I assign the JIRA issue to
myself? Or any other steps needed?