harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Luht" <anton.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][testing]resource files: location and usage
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:14:37 GMT
> Indeed, unless you are extremely paranoid that all the other API
> implementations wrong, but are conspiring to make your test pass then
> you should assume that everything else is working ok and you are testing
> some specific piece of functionality.

Why should we have gold files then? Let's imagine we test
deserialization. According to your proposal - we suppose that
serialization works fine then. Let's serialize something in a file or
an array, deserialize and compare - if non-transient fields are equal,
it's OK.

I suggest to trust only resources created outside Harmony VM - for
example, created by Java executed in RI, application on any other
language but Java or taken from SVN.

Only paranoids survive :)

--
Regards,