harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Luht" <anton.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][testing]resource files: location and usage
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:33:29 GMT
Good day,

It seems to me that some tests may require resources that can't be put
to SVN, for example, non-readable files. Non-writable files may fall
in this category, too - I think (sorry it I'm wrong) that after
commit/checkout from SVN they become writable by the owner. Another
example of such resources may be huge files. It's impossible to put
such resources to SVN but they may be created in the build process or
on fly before executing tests.  Maybe it's worth to specify a common
approach for such resources, maybe a build target or something like
that.

It is not a good idea to put creation of such resources in something
like setUp() method in JUnit test because who knows if a read-only
file created by VM under test is really read-only or not :)

On 6/19/06, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/19/06, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> >
> > It would be good if the page
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/testing.htmldescribes
> > also location, name convention and
> > access model for resource files used for testing, specifically, for
> > testing
> > serialization.
> >
> > At the present moment test's resource files stored in "src/test/resources"
> > directory in modules structure.
> > Serialization data stored as
> >    "resources/" +  "serialization/"  + "<package name>" or
> >    "resources/" +  "<package name>" + "/serialization/"
> > with ".ser" or ".dat" extension.
> >
> > Other resource files are stored in "resources/" or in the
> > "resources/<package name>" directory.
> >
> > I found two mechanisms of accessing resources in tests:
> > 1) Get resource through ClassLoader.getResource("serialization/<package
> > name>")
> > 2) Get resource through reading file System.getProperty(RESOURCE_DIR +
> > filename).
>

>  Hi Vladimir,
>
> The second mechanismis used in 'security' testing framework (used by
> auth/crypto/security/x-net modules). We are agreed to merge two existing
> framework for testing serialization. Currently I'm preparing update for the
> 'security' framework - it will replace the second mechanism it with the
> first.
>
> Suggestion:
> > 1) Ideal from my point of view variant: lets uniform access to resources
> > throughout all tests (I can do it).
>

> Agreed. We should work out uniform access to resources. IIRC we agreed to
> access *all* resources via classpath.
>
> 2) If it's not good idea, then, lets just describe technique of working
> > with resources on testing conventions page to limit the number of access
> > techniques to only two (I can do it).
> >
> > Thoughts?
>

> see [1] for name conventions for serialization resource files.
>
> Thanks,
> Stepan.
>
> [1]
> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/ser_testing.html