harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: awt and swing integration issues
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 07:57:40 GMT
2006/6/18, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com>:

> On 18 June 2006 at 22:16, "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2006/6/18, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com>:
> > > c) I'm also wondering about the motivation for using C++ when I can't
> > > see any pressing reason to require this.
> > You mean that most of the native code is C++ but not C?
>
> Yes.  It seems to be a mixture of C and C++ and although I only looked
> at a couple of files I didn't see anything that really needed C++
> features.
>
> For portability I'd stick to C if C++ isn't really required.
But C++ gives at least 2 benefits for developer:
1. Strict type checking
2. It is allow to write env->FindClass("java/lang/Object") instead of
(*env)->FindClass(env, "java/lang/Object") :)

Windows version also uses GDI+ which is class library.

So I vote for C++...
--
Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division