harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] moving to 1.5 for real - discuss
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 15:53:31 GMT
Mark,

I understand your concerns about static linking of the large number of
the libraries... We thought about this too...

But we decided that for now it is the best way: we have to manage only
few libraries inside the Harmony deploy directory... Which is changing
its contents so often :)

Anyway it can be easily changed at any time.

Another question about binary builds: Can we distribute third party
libraries in the binary form from the Apache site?
Geir? Tim?

2006/6/8, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com>:

> On 8 June 2006 at 8:34, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Mark Hindess wrote:

> > > I agree.  I'd quite like to see a snapshot with a "free" vm and as much
> > > of the classlib as possible preferably awt/swing and mx4j (anyone looked
> > > at HARMONY-560? Comments?).
> > >
> > > If it is acceptable, I'd very much like to create some snapshots in the
> > > form of debian and rpm packages to see if we can encourage the masses
> > > to give Harmony a try.
> >
> > YEAH!
> >
> > > (At the moment I think these packages might
> > > be pretty fat since we don't do much to make use of locally installed
> > > packages for things like zlib, libpng, liblcms, etc.  But I still think
> > > this (packaging) is worth doing and I'm prepared to work on trimming the
> > > fat later.)
> >
> > Cool - getting those started would be cool, and we just evolve them.
> >
> > How does it work "in real life"?  Are there linux packaging 'czars'
> > that we might convince to start making these regularly available?
>
> When the time comes, I think we could find a Debian Developer sponsor
> without too much trouble but they are going to tell us to "go away"
> until we start behaving slightly more reasonably with respect to
> dependencies.  That is, using what is already installed rather than
> including them.
>
> Not sure what the process is like for RPM-based packages but I'm sure
> they'll have the same issues about any "official" distribution packages.
>
> In the meantime, we could just host raw packages or (more work) create
> apt/yum repositories.  I think we'll have to do it ourselves at least
> until we get a little closer to world domination. ;-)
>
> (Aside: I'm not criticising the choice to use static or
> download-and-build dependencies.  This is a sound pragmatic choice at
> this stage.  It's just not a good way to fit in when we want wider
> acceptance.)
>
> I have a few ideas for how we can start to do this better on Linux.
> I've no idea about Windows but I suspect the bar for what it acceptable
> is a little lower there.
>
> Regards,
>  Mark.

Alexey A. Petrenko