harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib] [testing] 37% of total test execution time is spent in a single test
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:23:37 GMT
There is a test

tests.api.java.net.Inet6AddressTest.test_getByNameLjava_lang_String

that iterates over arrays of valid ip adresses (array.length = 11) and
invalid ones (length=4). The test expects exception in invalid cases
and some reasonable behavior in valid ones. The test takes more
then 1/3 of the whole test suite execution time.

Host resolution goes to a native code and seems to end inside OS
(Windows in my case). As it was noticed in the "millions of rmi tests"
thread it is not necessary to iterate through a huge set of possible values
when a method just passes argument to a different method.

I think that some of the values could be deleted from the array and replaced
with duplicates of some existing entries (to exercise both positive and negative
caching). I they could then we will reduce test execution time by ~30%

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mikhail