harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: [drlvm] building...
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:32:04 GMT
> Thanks - I figured that out.
>
> It's an interesting difference from makefiles, as they tend to be more
> explicit and "local" - I can go into a directory and look at the
> makefile for the params used for building stuff local to that directory.

Yeah, when I was trying to disect the vm build when it was first
released I had similar problems.  I wanted to run some of the build
commands by hand to see a particular error without running the whole
build, but it was very difficult to tell what the final string of
arguments were, and once I had them  it was difficult to tell what I
would have to change to alter them.

The other major problem was that when build problems occurred,
compiles didn't stop.  So if one file blows up because of an issue,
the set of warnings in it immediately scroll off the screen and are
replaced by hundreds more.  On make based systems I'm used to it would
stop after the first file, which is much more approachable when
debugging.

-garrett