harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] trying new framework for testing serialization (was:Merging frameworks for testing serialization - first step)
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:41:14 GMT
Hi Jimmy,

On 6/30/06, Jimmy, Jing Lv wrote:

> Hi Stepan:
>
>    Seems the new framework for serialization has added to Harmony, I'm
> trying it and find it interesting. However I have a few questions:
>
> 1. It is strange that SerializationTest is an abstract class extends
> junit.framework.testcase,  in this case I can either (a) extends
> SerializationTest directly, implements getData() and run, it shall run
> "testSelf" and "testGolden", but how to control more complex situation
> in this way? or (b) write a test extends testcase, and use static
> methods "verifySelf" and "verifyGolden" in SerializationTest as
> Guidelines says, however I wonder why it extends testcase?

You should use approach described in [1]. The second way (i.e. extending
SerializationTest) is used by 'security' serialization tests only. As we
agreed we won't use it and all 'security' serialization tests should be
refactored to avoid extending SerializationTest. However it hard to do at
once. So I put stubs to "testSelf" and "testGolden" methods to let
'security' tests smoothly migrate to the new testing approach.

Please follow conventions in [1] for creating new serialization tests.

2. It is strange verifyGolden(test, object) has two parameter, but in
> the example in the Guidelines says:"
>        public void testSerializationCompatibility()
>                throws Exception {
>            SerializationTest.verifyGolden(new SomeSerializableClass());
>        }"  something lost?
>    And I guess the first parameter is used only to parse the name of
> resource file. If so, may it change the parameter to a String, or
> something else?

Yes, it is a mistake. Somebody already caught it and I fixed it in r417133
but the page on the web-site didn't updated yet. So I should say:

public void testSerializationCompatibility()
        throws Exception {

    SerializationTest.verifyGolden(this, new SomeSerializableClass());
}

The first param is TestCase instance that is used to locate golden file.

3. The test needs ser-files, so it may be necessary to add a method to
> create this file easily just like the old framework. I find a protected
> method produceGoldenFiles(), is that used for it (why protected?)? This
> may be necessary to guildance.
> What's more, the ser-file must be end with ".ser", but in new framework,
> I still find it uses ".dat" . And the path is "test/common/unit/..." but
> in Harmony's Test Guildance tells:"/src/test/resources/serialization..."

Yes, I agree that utility method for producing golden files will be useful.
I didn't think how to implement it yet - so suggestion and patches are
welcome.

Thanks,
Stepan.

[1]