harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][testing]resource files: location and usage
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:17:04 GMT
On 6/19/06, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

> It would be good if the page
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/testing.htmldescribes
> also location, name convention and
> access model for resource files used for testing, specifically, for
> testing
> serialization.
>
> At the present moment test's resource files stored in "src/test/resources"
> directory in modules structure.
> Serialization data stored as
>    "resources/" +  "serialization/"  + "<package name>" or
>    "resources/" +  "<package name>" + "/serialization/"
> with ".ser" or ".dat" extension.
>
> Other resource files are stored in "resources/" or in the
> "resources/<package name>" directory.
>
> I found two mechanisms of accessing resources in tests:
> 1) Get resource through ClassLoader.getResource("serialization/<package
> name>")
> 2) Get resource through reading file System.getProperty(RESOURCE_DIR +
> filename).

 Hi Vladimir,

The second mechanismis used in 'security' testing framework (used by
auth/crypto/security/x-net modules). We are agreed to merge two existing
framework for testing serialization. Currently I'm preparing update for the
'security' framework - it will replace the second mechanism it with the
first.

Suggestion:
> 1) Ideal from my point of view variant: lets uniform access to resources
> throughout all tests (I can do it).

Agreed. We should work out uniform access to resources. IIRC we agreed to
access *all* resources via classpath.

2) If it's not good idea, then, lets just describe technique of working
> with resources on testing conventions page to limit the number of access
> techniques to only two (I can do it).
>
> Thoughts?

see [1] for name conventions for serialization resource files.

Thanks,
Stepan.

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/ser_testing.html