harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrey Chernyshev" <a.y.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] what's next?
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:00:24 GMT

> Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In addition to the already proposed generic tasks like 5.0 support or
> > concurrent GC mentioned by Ivan, I'd like to add some more specific
> > things that might be interesting for people to look at as well:
> >
> > (1) Complete Java bytecode verifier
> > Class structure verification and subroutines (e.g. finally blocks) has
> > to be added to the bytecode verifier in order to make it
> > full-functional (as required by JVMS spec).
>
> Do you think that it will be complete at that point?  It's my
> understanding that it's fairly difficult and subtle to get it right.
> I'm hoping that we can just get that from Sun :)

Actually I'm not sure if RI is doing all of this, but if it does, it
could be a problem for us to pass the TCK.  Are you saying it might be
possible to somehow borrow a verifier from reference VM? :)

> > (2) Handling out of C memory conditions
> > VM must throw OutOfMemoryException when there is a lack of C memory.
> > For example, if local or global handle cannot be allocated then OOME
> > should be thrown – OutOfMemoryException must be thrown (this is
> > required by JNI/JVMTI spec).
>
> What does it do now?

Most likely it will exit with assert in the debug mode and will crash
in the release mode. The code currently does malloc() and then
memset()
(I was looking at oh_allocate_object_handle() function in
object_handle.cpp. It seems it is eventually called if one does
NewGlobalRef(), for example).
RI fails more gently in that case saying something like:
"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 152
bytes for CHeapObj-new. Out of swap space?"

Thanks,
Andrey.

> geir

Andrey Chernyshev