harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] compatibility of toString
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:53:25 GMT
I'd say that (like hashCode()) there's not a lot of point in testing
the exact output, only behaviour. In other words, if it returns a
String, that should be good enough. There's nothing in the spec to say
what it should be -- all of the toString() methods could return
"Harmony is Great!" and it'd still be within spec.

I suspect that tests that look at the exact output for toString() are
being done because it may be a quick-and-dirty way of testing all
properties set in a JavaBean-esque way.

OTOH there are some things that probably are worth testing -- IIRC the
 XxxList implementations return [...] when the list grows beyond a
certain size (1000?) to avoid doing an insane amount of toString
calculation. That's the kind of property that I would expect to be
tested in that particular test case.

Alex.