harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse Plug-in Dependencies not resolving
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:49:53 GMT
I agree. One of my pet peeves was that Eclipse moved from a nice,
structured, parsable format in the form of XML to a bastardised text
format that uses ;name=value to attach parameters with weird syntax
(like the fact that leading whitespace is ignored and means line
continuation so you end up with trailing whitespace to separate the
Jars -- or in the OSGi's case, a comma). And technically, 72 chars is
the max length of a line, though in practice everyone seems to ignore
it.

Peter Kriens doesn't seem to like XML files, which might explain it:

http://www.osgi.org/blog/2006/04/maven.html
"How anybody can use XML for a human writeable/readable format escapes
me, but it has taken epidemic forms."

Perhaps because it doesn't suffer from the insane fragility that
Manifest.MF and Makefiles before them?

Alex.