harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pack200 -- can now obtain files stored in archive
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:32:49 GMT
On 21/06/06, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/21/06, Alex Blewitt wrote:
>
> We agreed to separate providers implementation [1]. But I'm not sure the
> same should be done for a concrete class implementation. In you case it
> is implementation of java.util.jar.Pack200 but there are lots of other cases
> ,for example, java.security.Policy. So we'll got a lot of modules with only
> one class inside.

It's not just a concrete class, though. The API basically boils down
to two methods:

unpack()
pack()

The thing is, that an implementation of this JSR isn't just a simple
class that provides a couple of methods. There's a lot of detail in
the coding, decoding, and subsequent parsing that goes on. There's
also a few other utilities that would be useful for performing
compression on data streams if people would be interested in using
them.

So don't confuse a simple API with a simple solution :-) The
providers/ would be exactly the right place for this kind of code to
live (at least, for the implementation). There are stub classes that
are needed in the archive/ module, such as java.util.jar.Packer along
with the factory code to instantiate the provider; but the factory
instantiating the provider is actually specified as part of the
Packer's static access methods.

Alex.