harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pack200 -- can now read constant pool header
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:18:46 GMT
> > That wasn't what I meant.  I meant excluding the single file(s) that
> > cause the problem.
>
> Well you /could/ but I would claim that is not very desirable, since we
> would have to back out some changes in the existing built code for
> pack200, convince each IDE that not all files in the src/main were to be
> compiled, remember that there is an out-of-line set of files for archive
> etc.  Sounds like a form of branching without really doing it.
>
> ...but I expect that we won't need any of this, I'm sure Alex can cope ;-)

Hope so. Not necessarily always timely (my day job tends to run into
my night job occasionally) but sooner rather than later.

> Alex: can you send what you have done so far?

I've created Harmony 599
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-599) with a zip of what
I've done so far. I don't believe that it has compile errors, and the
tests run OK -- it's just if I depend on a method/class that's not yet
available in the classpath build. Hopefully it should be relatively
easy to fix, and if I do contribute a breaking patch via JIRA then
whoever applies it should be able to tell me before it goes live.

> >> That would be my preference -- the committer that applies the patch and
> >> the continuous build can check win/linux compilation.  If 'keeping it
> >> working' is too onerous, then branch.

I guess that if it doesn't work at first, drop me a line and let me
know so that I can try to work around it. For example, I link in the
JavaDoc to java.io.GZipInputStream#MAGIC_BYTES or something, which
might cause an issue if that's not there or been implemented yet. Most
of it is byte-munging anyway; a bit of StringBuffer here and there,
and io.read(). Not really that much.

Alex.