harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Visual Studio C++ Express to compile classlib - fails.
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:52:16 GMT

> 2006/6/27, Rana Dasgupta <rdasgupt@gmail.com>:
> >

> >>   I also read your interesting experiments on the other linked
> >>thread. Microsoft appears to have a new tool mt.exe to embed these
> >>manifests:
> >>     mt.exe -manifest someapp.exe.manifest -outputresource:someapp.exe;1
> >>     ( 1 for .exe and 2 for .dll )
> >>
> >>     Could be added as a post-build step.
>
> >Sure. I thought I'd have to  experiment with rc or windres utilities so I
> >gave up at that stage. I didn't know they've invented a special utility
> >right for the purpose of embedding manifests into executables and dlls.

 That ( using a resource file )actually would be a better way, if possible.
The above directly edits the output file and potentially causes a full
recompile? It may be possible to convert the manifest  into a resource file
like:

$(MANIFEST_BASENAME).auto.res :$(MANIFEST_BASENAME).auto.rc

$(MANIFEST_BASENAME).auto.rc : $(MANIFEST_BASENAME).auto.manifest
    type <<$@
#include <winuser.h>
1RT_MANIFEST"$(MANIFEST_BASENAME).auto.manifest"
<< KEEP

 , use rc to compile the resource, and then relink the resource
incrementally into the executable using the /incremental LDFLAGS etc.

Rana