harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stack Overflow Error support issues
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:24:49 GMT
On 6/28/06, Pavel Afremov <pavel.n.afremov@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can see my comments inline.
>

> I think it's impossible to find max amount of stack that is required for
> complex components, like JIT. But it's possible to put constraints for some
> functions, which does simple compilation tasks.

hmmm... you may be right.  But I still think its worth asking the
question anyway.  Some observations.  It might be possible to build a
simple JIT that emits code and forward branch patch locations in one
pass.  The jit would do a "malloc()" for the code and patch records
thus conserving the stack.  A second pass would fixup the branch
patches. Given the constraints on *.class structure, it might be
possible to do a limit study on how big the JIT data structs could
become.  For example, the class file contains a struct called,
"Code_attribute".   This struct contains start_pc and end_pc that are
16-bit integers which point into the bytecode.  Does this limit the
size of the bytecode array to 64KB?  max_locals and max_stack are
limited to 64K.  It is understood that even if a limit study could  be
done on max jit hardware stack, the size might still be too big for a
practical JVM.  In any case, it would be nice to know.

--
Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division