harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] what's next?
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:52:45 GMT
> Build and dependency issues aside, what are the next functional
> enhancements / features for DRLVM?
>
> I think #1 is to get it to function with Java 5 classfiles, so we can
> make the switch throughout the project.
>
> Thoughts? What else?
I agree with java 5 being #1.  Some additional thoughts.  GCV4 needs
replacing for a variety of reasons.  The port of MMTk should pick up a
bunch of the great GC work being done in the Jikes/MMTk community.  It
would also  be nice to have a simple C generational collector.  I am
real busy with MMTk port.  Otherwise I would volunteer to look into
porting SableVM's generational collector.  I think it was written by
Carl Lebsack.  Porting both MMTk and SableVM GC would give DRLVM a
much better basis for generic VM/GC interfaces.

Another thing that needs to happen in DRLVM is a well designed
VM-JIT-GC synchronization protocol.   Clear, understandable
system-wide synch protocol will be very nice to have when we get to
the point of advanced threading module.   This really does not exist
today.  If there is interest, I could start a harmony-dev email thread
on this topic.

> geir

Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division