harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [testing] Re: AWT, Java2D and SWING contribution
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 09:48:48 GMT
On 6/2/06, Erik Axel Nielsen <erikaxel@stud.ntnu.no> wrote:
> Hi Anton
>

> > However if some third-party L&F provides "full" decoration, i.e.
> > provide its own look for all components overriding every setting from
> > BasicLookAndFeel then it can perfectly satisfy our needs:
>
> How about this one: http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/  ?
> I haven't looked at the code, but if they reuse a substantial part of
> basic LF I will be surprised. :)
> Just for the record, this is partly meant as a joke, but who knows?
> Perhaps it is worth checking out.
>
> > Looking at this idea deeply I would ever suggest not to use any
> > third-party L&Fs (since they can override some behavior anyway), but
> > just override all color L&F keys which is very simple.
>
> I'm sorry, but my english is not that good. What exactly are you
> suggesting here? If I read it correctly, you mean we should never do
> checks with a third party LF? If that is correct, why?

Actually my English is not good :-). Will work on improvement.

What I tried to say is that we really don't need to use third-party
L&Fs for visual testing. It doesn't mean we should not try them. We
should! Just because L&F implementation is one of the most significant
customization in Swing and may be based on the very internal things
(like the order of components in some specific container, etc). So,
running third-party applications which provide their own L&Fs will
allow to determine many inconsistencies. Obviously, the more
applications we  probe during testing the better fucntional coverage
we achieve (and the more problems get identified).

Talking about scenario automation: if I got your idea right, you
proposed to use some third-party L&F. Just because this approach would
allow unified look for both RI and Harmony.
This is excellent idea, but third-party L&F could also provide not
just own colors, but customized behavior as well, replacing our
classes. That's why I think we should not used them.
Your idea can be easily implemented by overriding color-related
constants in L&F.
What we need is just call:
UIManager.put("someColorConstant", new ColorUIResource(PREDEFINED_COLOR))
for all the color-related constants.
This allows to test the standard set of L&F classes.

--
Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division