harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] internationalization
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:12:32 GMT
> Yep, we discussed that a while ago.
>
> IIRC there was some debate about how the message keys should look.
> Today we have short strings (e.g. "K1234") and there was a proposal to
> make that <module>.<id> (e.g. "beans.42").  I recall some objections to
> that proposal but cannot recreate them right now.

Yes. I proposed to have self-documenting key names.
Because when code produces some exception, for instance, I would
prefer to see something like

throw new IOException(I18N.getMessage("wrongFileFormatMsg"))

 rahter than

throw new IOException(I18N.getMessage("K1234"))    :-).

With my proposal it is very easy to understand the idea of the coded
message and its intention.

Wishes,
--
Anton Avtamonov,