harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [jchevm] _jc_parse_classfile called twice in common case
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:35:51 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> I notice that there is a common code path that goes:
>
>   _jc_derive_type_from_classfile which calls:
>     _jc_parse_classfile
>     _jc_derive_type_interp which calls:
>       _jc_parse_classfile (with, I think, the same arguments as before)
>
> Is this correct?  Perhaps we could avoid making the second call?

That's correct.. but we don't duplicate much work. The first call to
_jc_parse_classfile() has howmuch=1, which means "just parse the
names of the class, superclass, and superinterfaces, and then return".

The overall class loading calling sequence is slightly less efficient than
it could be, however, a holdover from the support in JCVM for loading
classfiles from both ELF objects and/or the classpath.

-Archie